Did you know gum disease is one of the leading causes of adult tooth loss?
Gum disease is an infection of the gum tissue. Gum disease is caused by a build-up of plaque that reaches the gum line causing an infection of the connective tissue. In the early stages of gum disease, often referred to as gingivitis, patients may experience bleeding gums, swollen gums, and gum irritation. As gum disease advances, patients may begin to notice signs like halitosis, tooth sensitivity, shifting teeth, and eventually tooth loss.
Common Symptoms of Gum Disease:
- Bleeding gums
- Red, swollen gums
- Changes in the fit of dental appliances
- Persistent bad breath
- Sensitive gums
- Shifting teeth
There are certain factors that may increase your risk of developing gum disease. Novi, MI dentist, Dr. Christopher Paulson can work with you to create a plan to improve your gum health and lower your risk of developing gum disease. Gum disease is a preventable oral health concern.
To learn more about how to improve your gum health, visit Arbor Dental Associates in Novi, MI. To schedule an appointment, call (248) 553-9393 or schedule an appointment online.
Improve Your Gum Health
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day. Brushing your teeth can freshen the breath, remove plaque, and clean the tongue. When debris and food particles aren’t properly removed, they can lead to plaque build-up on the teeth and gums. Find the right toothbrush to fit your oral health needs. Patients can choose from soft, medium or hard bristle brushes.
- Don’t forget to floss! Flossing helps remove harmful bacteria and debris from between the teeth. Flossing is a major part of your oral hygiene routine, and it should be performed daily.
- Use mouthwash. Incorporating mouthwash into your daily oral hygiene routine can reduce plaque buildup on the teeth and gums.
- Visit the dentist for biannual preventive care visit. Dr. Paulson can thoroughly screen the teeth and gums for any signs of gum disease during your preventive care visit. If gum disease is suspected, Dr. Paulson can create a treatment based on the severity and stage of gum disease. Our goal is to restore health to the gums, correct damage to the teeth, and help patients maintain a healthy, functional smile.